Frequently Asked Questions
Design, Installation & Maintenance of Elevators
1. Why should I use Advantage Elevators?
Because we care! You are making a significant investment in your home and we want you to have a positive experience.
2. How long does it take to install a home elevator?
The elevator installation takes a few days after arriving at the site; if the site is ready - i.e. the hoistway doors have been hung, the shaft is complete and permanent power is available. We work closely with the homeowners and builders to insure everything is ready.
3. How much does a home elevator cost?
There are many variables when pricing an elevator, number of floors, job-site conditions, level of finish desired on the interior of the cab, etc. Please contact us and we will be happy to discuss a budget with you.
4. How long does the home elevator take to build?
Most elevators require 4-8 weeks to acquire and process, ready for installation.
5. How much room do I need?
For an elevator that will accommodate a wheelchair, it takes about a 5' x 5’ area for the shaft.
6. How deep should my pit be for the home elevator?
Pit depths vary from manufacturer to manufacturer with ranges from 8" or 15”. Our elevators require an 8” pit.
7. How much overhead do I need?
The overhead requirement depends on the system being used; hydraulic, traction, winding drum but the industry typically uses 12” - 36”.
8. How many floors can your home elevator serve?
Four stories. Residential elevators have a maximum allowable travel distance of 50-feet.
9. Can my elevator have more than one entrance?
Our home elevator cabs can be accessed from multiple sides.
10. Will the home elevator accommodate a wheelchair?
Generally, an elevator cab interior measuring 36" x 48”, will accommodate a wheelchair.
11. What is the better system hydraulic, winding drum, chain drive or vacuum?
The best elevator system depends on the application and code requirements. Every system has its "Best" application. Discuss your requirements with us and we will point you in the right direction.
12. Does my home elevator need to be serviced, if so how often?
A quality elevator and installation will provide you with many years of enjoyment, provided it is maintained. An annual service is typically all that is needed.